The following recipe for Fry Pan Ham & Rice is from SurvivalBlog reader Lisa in Ohio. You will need a large fry pan with a lid, or a skillet with a lid.
Note that cooked turkey may be substituted for the cooked ham.
• 1-1/2 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
• 1 medium-size onion, chopped
• 1 cup pre-cooked ham or turkey, cubed
• Ground pepper (to taste)
• 1/4 cup water (omit if using cooked rice instead of instant rice)
• 1/2 cup chicken broth or turkey broth
• 1 cup cooked rice or 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large fry pan or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat
- Saute onion and mushrooms until tender.
- Stir in ham, pepper, water (if used), and broth
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice.
- Reduce heat and simmer the covered pan for about 5 minutes.
- Fluff it with a fork.
- Top with cheese and chopped green onion.
Serve immediately, or before it cools.
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? In this weekly recipe column, we place emphasis on recipes that use long term storage foods, recipes for wild game, dutch oven and slow cooker recipes, and any that use home garden produce. If you have any favorite recipes, then please send them via e-mail. Thanks!