The following recipe for Chopped Beef En Casserole is from The New Butterick Cook Book, by Flora Rose, co-head of the School of Home Economics at Cornell University. It was published in 1924. A professional scan of that 724-page out-of-copyright book is one of the many bonus items included in the upcoming edition of the waterproof SurvivalBlog Archive USB stick. This special 15th Anniversary Edition USB stick should be available for sale on or about January 25, 2021. The 14th Edition sold out quickly, so place a reminder in your calendar, if you want one.
- 2 pounds clod of beef
- Beets (optional)
- 2/3 cup tomato catchup
- 1/3 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- Mix chopped beef with tomato catchup
- Add tabasco sauce, using more if desired.
- Season well with salt.
- Place in casserole and bake slowly three hours, basting frequently with water and tabasco or Worcestershire sauce.
- A few strips of bacon across the top will add to the richness, and improve the flavor.
- Garnish with quartered beets, if desired.
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? In this weekly recipe column, we place emphasis on recipes that use long term storage foods, recipes for wild game, dutch oven and slow cooker recipes, and any that use home garden produce. If you have any favorite recipes, then please send them via e-mail. Thanks!